Sunday, October 16, 2011

Old Friends

Who is your oldest friend? How long have you been friends with this person? I actually have 2 people who tie for my oldest friend, and the friendships with them go back to middle school. 6th grade actually. I don't think I have any friends from elementary school that I am still in contact with. And even these friends I don't always see very often or even talk to a lot, but I definitely still consider them my friends. Sometimes I'm surprised that my oldest friendships don't go back farther, and othertimes I'm amazed and very happy that I am still friends with people that I met when I started middle school. I've been thinking about this because I just saw one of them this weekend for my sister-in-law's baby shower. (It's weird, because I have 2 friends who are also friends with some of my siblings because they all went to college together. It's a funny connection, and I actually think it's helped me keep in contact with them in some ways. It's not the same 2 friends, one is a middle school friend and one is a high school friend.) We've actually been able to hang out more in the past 6 months than we have in the past 6 years due to weddings and showers and her moving back to the cities for med school stuff. It's been really great seeing her more often. I often find that having a history as friends means that when you get together, the conversation is still easy and you know enough about the other person that it just feels normal and comfortable.

3 comments:

  1. my oldest friend is your sister - since kindergarten! and heather keller since 1st grade. how crazy that we have been friends so long and they are still 2 of my best friends (granted there were ups and downs along the way, but we stuck it out)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your connection with those friends has helped me keep in contact with them as well. I love how that all worked out so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren Nutter is my oldest friend thanks to You and Gina being friends with her cousins. Emily, you just seem to be the connection guru or something.

    ReplyDelete