Sunday, February 20, 2011

It looks like snow is in the forecast...guess it's time to run some errands!

Eric and I have a terrible problem during winter. We always seem to go places during the worst snowfalls of the year. If it's snowing, chances are we are out driving in it, in our tiny Toyota Corolla. It's not usually intentional, we just have bad luck and some what bad foresight.

The very first snowstorm this season was Maria's wedding, so obviously we were out in that. The second snowstorm, and the biggest one this winter, came on the weekend we were celebrating our anniversary (4 months late due to Charlotte's birth) at a hotel in Wisconsin and had left Charlotte at my parent's house for the night. The trip is only about 2 hours, but it took over 4 hours to get back. It was also one of the most terrifying driving experiences of my life. A couple of times I had to lean out the window and try to scrape snow and ice off of the windshield wipers, and we saw more vehicles in the ditches and on the side of the road than I ever have in my whole life. We didn't want to be out in it, and anyone smart was inside that day, but we needed to get back to our baby and once we started out in it we didn't have much choice but to continue until we made it back. Luckily, we did. Probably because I said so many Our Fathers and Hail Marys--I'm not kidding, I don't know when the last time was that I prayed as hard as I did then. Then again today we decide to go out and do some errands and some shopping, and we actually got a fairly early start and were out and about before the snow started, but of course shortly into our day it starts coming down and we had to do most of our shopping in poor weather, once again.

It just seems like every time we have any snow worth mentioning, Eric and I are out in it for some reason or other. Somehow we've managed to make it safely to wherever we are going, which is amazing considering what vehicle we drive. We're resolving to have more foresight in the future and actually pay attention to what the weather will be like before we decide to venture out in what could possibly turn out to be a snowstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment