Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gardening with Allergies

Gardening with allergies is pretty near impossible, or at least down right uncomfortable. I don't have a house, so how can I have a garden, you might ask. Well, we are fortunate enough to have a balcony at our current apartment and so we are hanging up some plants and using planters for others. We are using a topsy-turvey tomato hanger so we prepared that over the weekend, and bought a hanging strawberry plant too. We have a topsy turvey strawberry hanger but we'd have to buy at least 15 plants for it and that's a lot of dough. It was way more economical to buy the hanging plant, and at least if nothing grows we're not out that much money and we can just get all (rather than some) of our strawberries at the store.

Today we planted everything in the planters. One has seedlings of some flowers, one has actual seeds (that's sortof an experimental one, if it doesn't turn out the garden gnome that's sitting in it right now will be very sad and lonely), one has some herbs, and the last one is another tomato plant that my dad gave us. So hopefully we'll have a beautiful looking balcony with some flowers and food. But allergy season makes doing all of this very difficult. About 10 minutes after finishing up my eyes were very red and itchy and I swear I could feel them swelling up. Part of the problem is we took a walk earlier tonight and then sat outside grilling at the communal grill/picnic area our apartment has set up, so my exposure to allergens was already greater than most days, and then being in direct proximity with plants was just the final straw. At least our "garden" is all set up, and now I can just water and wait for everything to grow and enjoy my beautiful plants and soon enough some delicious strawberries and some salad with my own tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment